Top 10 Schools Of Mumbai
Posted June 1, 2010on:
Here is the list and details of top 10/best schools of Mumbai. The list is indicative and not exhaustive.
- The Cathedral & John Connon School
Review: The Cathedral & John Connon School is a co-educational, private school located in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is considered among the finest schools in India. According to the Education World-C fore Survey of Schools 2009, the school has been ranked second in the all India ranking of the best schools in India. It was ranked first in the Western region as the most respected school and ranked first in India for the Quality of Alumni.
The Cathedral and John Connon School is undoubtedly one of the most prestigious educational institutions in this country. For more than 145 years it has imparted the finest education through the medium of English, and has the tradition of upholding the most worthy values of the civilized world.
Although run by the Anglo Scottish Education Society, its spirit of tolerance and brotherhood of all mankind is the very essence of secular India.
The ICSE is a Board examination conducted at the end of Grade 10. Many students leave after this to join junior colleges in the city. The ISC, the Grade examination, is a more demanding course.
The School is affiliated to the following Boards in India and conducts public examinations in Std. 10 and Std. 12:
Indian Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (ICSE): a two – year course covered in Classes 9 and 10.
The Indian School Certificate (ISC): a two – year syllabus covered in Classes 11 and 12.
The following programmes are also offered by the School:
The Advanced Placement Programme (AP) (of the College Board in the United States) for students of Stds. 11 and 12.
The P-SAT examination (of the College Board in the United States) for students of Stds. 9, 10 and 11. This examination is conducted by the school once a year
English is the medium of instruction. Hindi is taught as a second language and Marathi or Sanskrit are taught as third languages. Tests are conducted periodically and examinations are held at the end of every school term. The school’s students have consistently performed well at the I.C.S.E and I.S.C. examinations and the school has consistently maintained a 100% pass-rate.
College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) Programme has been conducted in the school since June, 2004. Talented students, who would otherwise be disinterested in a mainstream classroom, are offered the chance to pursue accelerated learning (college-level) courses in a wide range of subjects including English, Calculus (AB & BC), Physics, Biology, Computers, World History, Chemistry and Economics. The school is also the only AP Examination Center in Western India.
For the I.S.C. course (consisting of grades 11 and 12) the school traditionally divided its student body into three streams: Commerce, Science, and the Humanities; however, as of 2008, this is no longer required and students now have the option of either choosing a particular stream or choosing subjects from different streams.
Academic standards are set high and grades have to be earned through sustained hard work. Students achieving distinctions (above 75% per term in Senior School) throughout the year become eligible for the Honours Prize for that year. Those who achieve fifteen points on a complicated scoring system, at any time after Grade 8, are awarded the Scholar’s Badge. This is a much-coveted honour and there are rarely more than three recipients in any given year.
Website – http://www.cathedral-school.com/
|7.55 a.m. to 2.35 p.m||6, Purshottamdas Thakurdas Marg,
Mumbai – 400 001
|Principal: 91.22.2200 1282
Vice Principal: 91.22.2209 3263
Headmistress: 91.22.2209 4940
Accounts: 91.22.2200 1283 / 4077 8123
|7.55 a.m. to 2.35 p.m||4, Maharshi Dadhichi Marg,
Mumbai – 400 001
|School Office: 91.22.2207 1015|
|7.55 a.m. to 2.00 p.m||19, Mahatma Gandhi Road,
Mumbai – 400 001
|School Office: 91.22.2204 9219|
|8.05 a.m. to 11.45 a.m||9, Little Gibbs Road, Malabar Hill,
Mumbai – 400 006
|School Office: 91.22.2367 0989|
|First Session: 8.15 a.m. to 11.15 a.m
Second Session 12 noon to 3.00 p.m.
|St. Thomas’ Cathedral, Veer Nariman Road,
Mumbai – 400 001
|School Office: 91.22.6506 3146|
- Bombay Scottish School, Mahim
About : Bombay Scottish School (BSS) popularly known as Scottish is a prestigious private, co-educational day school located at Mahim in Mumbai, India. The institution was established in 1847 by Scottish Christian missionaries under the name Scottish Female Orphanage.
The school caters to pupils from Kindergarten up to Class 10 and the medium of instruction is the English language. The school is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi, which conducts the ICSE Examinations at the close of Class 10.
The admission notice for Junior kindergarten is put up in January. For Senior kindergarten to Class 8, the notice is put up in April. During the admission procedure, preference is given to siblings of former students, Protestant Christians and relatives of teachers. An interview of each candidate is conducted as a part of the admission process.
The school follows the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) syllabus prescribed by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi. English is the medium of instruction. Hindi and French are taught as second languages. English and Hindi are taught from Class 1. Marathi, the regional language is taught as a third language and is compulsory from Class 1 up to Class 7.
The academic year which commences in June and concludes in April consists of two terms. The first term is from June till November and the second term is from November till April. Tests are conducted periodically and examinations are held at the end of every term. The courses of studies extend from Kindergarten to Class 10, at the end of which students appear for the ICSE Examinations. The school’s students have consistently performed well at the ICSE examinations and the school has maintained a 100% pass-rate.
Candidates for the ICSE examination need to finish satisfactorily courses in a third language (Marathi), Art and Craft, Physical Education, Moral Education, Socially Useful and Productive Work (SUPW). These are evaluated internally by the school and the results contribute towards the award of the ICSE pass certificate. Project work is assessed from Class 1 to Class 10. Field trips, camps and social service visits are organized regularly.
The school has a large library with over 20,000 books that are accessible to the students throughout school hours. There are separate science laboratories for Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The science laboratories are utilised by students of class 9 and 10 to carry out practical work. The school has two computer laboratories where students from classes 5 through 10 are made proficient in computers. There is a cafeteria run by the Interact Club of the school for use by both faculty and students.
Sporting activities include: Swimming, Gymnastics, Athletics, Football, Basketball, Throwball, Table Tennis, Cricket, Tennis, Badminton, Squash, Rollerskating, Karate, Pistol Shooting, Rifle Shooting, Archery, and Chess.
Many notable people have, in the past and present, been a part of the school.
John Abraham – Bollywood actor and former model
Lucky Ali (around 1976) – Indian singer songwriter, composer and actor
Abhishek Bachchan – Bollywood actor
Vikas Bhalla – Indian Television actor and singer
Arjun Bijlani – Indian Television Actor
Aditya Chopra (1987) – Indian film director, writer and producer
Uday Chopra – Bollywood Actor
Shanta Gokhale – Writer, translator, journalist and theatre critic
Ranjit Hoskote (1984) – Indian poet, art critic, cultural theorist and independent curator
Rahul Jagtiani – Model
Ekta Kapoor – Indian Television producer
Ranbir Kapoor- Bollywood actor
Tusshar Kapoor – Bollywood actor
Aamir Khan (1981) – Bollywood actor
Imran Khan – Bollywood actor
Mansoor Khan – Movie director
Leslie Lewis – composer, best known for his work as part of Colonial Cousins
Aziz Mirza – Bollywood director
Meghna Reddy – Model and VJ
Sushma Reddy – Model, VJ and scriptwriter
Hrithik Roshan – Bollywood actor
Rahul Sharma – Musician of Hindustani classical music
Pia Trivedi – Model and Channel V VJ
Bombay Scottish School
Veer Savarkar Marg,
Mumbai 400 016
Phone – 022 – 24451365
3. Campion School, Mumbai
Review: Campion School is boys-only private Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School located in South Mumbai (also Bombay), India. The school was founded in January 1943 by Rev.Fr.Joseph Savall of the Jesuits and named after St.Edmund Campion.
Among the School organizations are the following:
- 43rd East Bombay Cub Packs: selection of recruits for five Cub Pack is made from the Primary section.
- 43rd East Bombay Scout Troop: the selection of recruits for the Scout Troop is made in the Secondary section. As a rule, students who have been cubs before, are given preference The Scout motto is “Be prepared”.
- The 19th Mah. Junior N.C.C. Air Wing and the 21st Troop Junior N.C.C. Naval Unit 1st Mah. Bn. Wing: The N.C.C. aim is to develop leadership, character, comradeship and a spirit of sportsmanship.; and to provide training for students with a view to developing in them officer-like qualities, thus enabling them to obtain commissions in the Armed Forces.
- The Road Safety Patrol (R.S.P.): Its motto is “We live to serve” it provides service training to young men and women so as to stimulate interest in the safety of the people from accidents and to build up officers to enable the Police Force to expand at the time of emergency.
- The Junior Red Cross trains its members to care for their own health and that of others, and to help the sick and suffering, especially children.
- The Interact Club is a Junior branch of the Rotary movement and aims at fostering a sense of social concern and international understanding among young students. It undertakes relief projects on behalf of the underprivileged.
- Sanskar provides an opportunity to the students to follow and understand the cultural values of the ancient Indian Civilization.
- The Nature Club of India represents the Youth Wing of the World Wildlife Fund. Its aim is to make India’s children aware of the economic, cultural and aesthetic value of national resources by spreading interest and knowledge about its wildlife rivers, forests and other natural resources.
- Elocution, Debating and Dramatics: the aim is the training of students in the art of public speaking, and developing dramatic talent among the students of the higher classes. Prizes are awarded annually to the best individual speakers both in English and in Hindi and to the best Class and House in Inter-Class, Inter-House Elocution, Dramatic and General Knowledge competitions.
- The Campion Review is issued on a half yearly basis to foster the literary talent of the students. The Journal is managed by an Editorial Board and provides a wide range of news reports.
- The School Band, instituted by the late Fr. E.F. More, S.J, was revived in 1996 under an experienced Band Master. The band plays at school functions such as the Republic Day parade, Independence Day and the Annual Athletics Meet.
- The Audio-Visual Instruction Room is used for practical and demonstration work. The screening of educational films and documentaries is a regular feature. The Video Cassette Recorder is also installed here so that tapes can be screened.
- Games and Sports: the school has a gymnasium where all boys of the Senior School have a programme of physical education. The boys play basketball, football, cricket, badminton, table-tennis and lawn tennis. There are annual meets for athletics aquatics and a Junior Sports Festival.
- Excursions are organized.
Notable alumni of Campion School, Mumbai
- Dr Adi Bulsara – physicist who studied under the Nobel Prize winner Ilya Prigogine
- Kumar Mangalam Birla – industrialist, Chairman Aditya Birla Group
- Shashi Tharoor – Indian Diplomat
- Praful Patel – Minister for Civil Aviation, Government of India
- Jyotiraditya Scindia – politician and former Maharaja of Gwalior
- Dr. Vijay Kelkar – General Practitioner
- Dr. Mukesh Batra – doctor
- Vivek Vaswani – Bollywood actor, producer
- Randhir Kapoor – Bollywood actor, producer and director
- Rajiv Kapoor – Bollywood actor
- Rishi Kapoor – Bollywood actor
- Jugal Hansraj – Bollywood actor
- Ranjit Chowdhry – Bollywood and Hollywood actor, screenwriter
- Sanjay Gadhvi – Bollywood writer and director
- Tarun Tahiliani – Indian fashion designer
- Dr. Anuj Saxena – Indian Television actor and director, Elder Pharma
- Atul Kasbekar – Indian photographer
- Soli Colah – squash player
- Hirji Nagarwalla – Indian athlete (represented India at the 1986 Asian Games, held in Seoul)
- Adi Gandhi – Air Marshal (youngest Pilot to be awarded the Vir Chakra by the GoI)
- Keki Mistry – Managing Director, HDFC
- Niranjan Hiranandani – industrialist
- Rajdeep Sardesai – journalist
- Sachet Engineer- actor in Taare Zameen Par and swimmer
Affiliation – ICSE
Grades – till 10th
ADMISSIONS : Admission To Classes 1 to 9 For The Year 2010 – 2011
In order that you may inform us of your wish to seek admission to Campion School, information slips can be downloaded.
Boys are usually not admitted in class 9 and above unless they come from an I.C.S.E. school and have a good academic record (Only if there are vacancies)
Age limit for particular classes will be strictly adhered to. Boys too old for a class will not be admitted.
For more details – http://www.campionschool.in/admissions/admissions-class-1-9.asp
Address: CAMPION SCHOOL
13 Cooperage Road, Fort, Mumbai – 400 001.
Tel: +91-22-2202 0575
Website – http://www.campionschool.in/default.asp
For more details contact – http://www.campionschool.in/contactus/useful-contacts.asp
4. St Xavier’s High School, Fort, Mumbai
Review: St. Xavier’s High School, Fort is an English medium school for boys in Fort, Mumbai, India. St.Xavier’s was established in 1869 by the Jesuits in the neo-gothic building it occupies to this day. Fragments of its history are visible throughout its corridors of the primary section in the form of stuffed hunted animals shot by priests during the British Raj.
Affiliation: The school follows the SSC board which is the state board of the Government of Maharashtra. It runs classes from standard one to standard ten. The primary (Standard one to four) and secondary school occupy different buildings. A class has four sections from ‘A’ to ‘D’ with approximately sixty students each.
All students of the secondary school belong to one of four houses – Ashoka (blue), Tilak (yellow), Nehru (red), Tagore (green). Each house has an elected House Captain from standard ten and a Vice-Captain from standard nine. Additionally a School Captain and Vice-Captain are elected from standard ten. These student representatives are primarily involved in maintaining student discipline and leading student and ceremonial activities.
Importance is given to sports and it is one of the few schools in space-starved south Bombay to have a large football field, basketball courts, a paved covered activity hall and an assembly quadrangle.
- Aftab Shivdasani – actor
- Arvind Mafatalal – industrialist
- Adi Godrej – industrialist
- Somnath Bharadwaj – scientist
- Charles Correa – architect
- Deepak Parekh – banking
- Gen. S.F. Rodrigues
- Gautam Rajadhyaksha – photographer
- Homi Sethna – scientist
- Milind Rege – sportsman
- Nari Gandhi – architect
- Naseeruddin Shah – actor
- Soli Sohrabjee – ex. Attorney General of India
- Sunil Gavaskar – sportsman
- Tiku Talsania – actor
- Arjun Appadurai – anthropologist
Mumbai – 400001-
Tel : 022-2703644
Website – http://www.xaviersfort.org/
5. Don Bosco High School, Matunga, Mumbai
About/Review: Don Bosco High School is a Catholic school for boys in Mumbai, India. The school is located in Matunga. Education The syllabus is in accordance with the Maharashtra Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education.
The school offers Kindergarten (Jr.Kg and Senior Kg.) to Standard 10. The subjects offered include English, Marathi, Hindi Entire, Hindi composite/French Composite (The language French is offered by the school from 8th standard onwards) Mathematics ( Algebra and Geometry), General Science (Science I, Science II) History, Civics, Geography and Economics.
The school has installed an LCD projector and computer in every class from the 1st to 10th Standard.
The school houses The NIOS and Pre-NIOS School for differently-abled students and slow learners.
Sports and recreation A list of sports trophies won by Don Bosco can be found on its official website – http://www.donboscomatunga.com Facilities include football grounds, hockey ground, basketball courts, Rev.Fr. Aurelius Maschio computer institute, Don Bosco Recreation Centre, Health Club with fitness facilities.
The school offers Day Borading, Night School and The National Institute of Open Schooling (N.I.O.S) and Pre – NIOS facilities.
Near Khalsa College, Matunga, Mumbai – 400019-
Tel : 4145228 / 4145233
Website - http://www.donboscomatunga.com/alumni
Email – email@example.com
6. Our Lady of Perpetual Succour , Chembur
Nr Diamond Garden,
St Anthonys Road,
Chembur East, Mumbai – 400071
Telephone – (91)-(22)-25211614, 25210378, 25212508
About – It is an excellent institution that has been serving the Eastern suburb residents for over 50 years. Notable Alumni – Anil Kapoor, Bollywood Actor
7. St Anthony High School
a)St. Anthony’s Home and High School
Byculla, Mumbai – 400008
Ph : 3076863
b)St. Anthony’s English Primary School
Dharavi, Mumbai – 400017
Ph : 4097875
c)St. Anthony’s High School
Andheri (West), Mumbai – 400061
Ph : 6361249
d)St. Anthony’s High School
Santacruz (E), Mumbai – 400055
Ph : 6127205
8. Arya Vidya Mandir
Bandra (West), Mumbai – 400050-Tel : 6426803
a) Arya Vidya Mandir -Santacruz (West), Mumbai – 400054-Tel : 6602644
9. St Mary’s High School
Review/Review: St. Mary’s School is a Jesuit-run secondary school located on Nesbit Road, Mazagaon in the city of Bombay, India. The school is affiliated with Bombay’s Church of St. Anne, which is adjacent to the school.
St. Mary’s is an Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) affiliate.
Notable alumni include Bollywood personalities Boman Irani, Sooraj R. Barjatya, and musician Zubin Mehta; the critical theorist Homi K. Bhabha; the poet Dom Moraes and Wipro Founder Azim Premji, Gulam Vahanvaty (Attorney General of India) Bhargav Bhatt, Ketan Desai (Bollywood Film Producer), Arjun Mathur, (actor), Dr.Aadil Chagla (Neuro-Surgeon KEM Hospital, Bombay), Adil Sumariwala (Olympian), Kunal Vijaykar (TV Anchor), Blaise deSouza MD, physician, Justice Lentin, Professor Devang Khakhar (Director IIT Bombay).
St. Mary’s High School
Facebook Page – http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5410539286
10. Villa Theresa High School
About/Review: The school was founded in 1932 as a primary co-educational school by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary. . From 1974 onwards the school has been preparing students for the ICSE in accordance with the educational pattern of the Government i.e. 10+2+3. Sister Berthald, also known as Sr. Monka was Superior , while Sr. Claudiana was the Principal.
Villa Theresa High School
66, Dr. G. Deshmukh Marg,
Mumbai – 400 026
Phone: 2387 9817
Fax: 2387 9817
As always, looking forward to hear from you and your list of best schools in Mumbai.
On what basis we can calculate the good and bad points of school – Click here…https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap3a_KN1U4H6dHpPNjFCVF9hM0RMSkl1NnVMWHJYVHc&hl=en